Monday, March 24, 2008

Maiden Voyage

My first post! I have a personal blog (siobhan_genie.livejournal.com), and I've even had a knitting blog that I let fade into the ether. So I decided to start fresh and new. Plus, I figure I didn't have much of an audience with my previous blog to begin with, so it's not like I am abandoning/confusing any imaginary readership.

So, about me. I am 34 and live with my husband and three cats in the Portland, OR area as of May 2007. I am originally from Orange County, CA. Nice area, but got too expensive. I also despise hot weather, so living in the Pacific Northwest suits me just fine. I can also actually wear my handknits here, which thrills me to no end. In 2006, my husband and I had the insane idea to move out of state and settle somewhere new. After much research and a delightful vacation, we decided that Portland would suit us best. It's a small city that is liberal, progressive, and funky. The whole area has personality, and I love it. Between trying to sell our house in CA (at what turned out to be the beginning of the giant downturn) and finally getting settled here, I haven't had a whole lot of time to start blogging again until now.

I first learned to knit from my mother when I was about 12. I didn't get into it at the time - I was more of a counted cross-stitch gal. About 4 years ago, a friend of mine handed me her copy of Stitch N Bitch, and I was immediately hooked, and haven't put down the needles since. My favorite things to knit are socks. I'd like to get more into colorwork and sweaters, and I may actually be able to do that now that my life has settled down some.

As I mentioned, I did have a knitting blog before. I didn't really know what to do with it at first, since I had my LJ blog that I was also updating. But I have a plan, and I think it will keep both blogs from feeling neglected. It will also save my friends on LJ from having to read about my knitting adventures - I'm afraid most of my friends just don't understand the appeal.

No comments: